There have already been several home first this winter season. The frigid temps and potential for power outages bring on additional risks. In addition to have working smoke detectors through-out your entire home, please use additional safety measures including but not limited to;
- Never leave space heathers unattended or on overnight
- Don’t burn anything except dry seasoned wood in your fireplace
- Make sure your chimney flue is open and unobstructed
- Ashes can remain hot for days, remove and store in a noncombustible container outside of the house
- Never leave candles unattended
- Keep generators as far away from the structure as possible
- Plug on 1 heat-producing appliance into an outlet at a time
- Keep flammable objects at least 3 feet from heat sources
Also, make sure you have an escape plan in the unfortunate even of a house fire. Doors and windows should never be blocked.
Stay safe and warm this winter!