1. Halloween is the 2nd highest grossing commercial holiday after Christmas
2. Samhainophobia is the official fear of Halloween
3. The First Jack O’Lanterns were actually turnips
4. The world record for Largest Pumpkin was recently broken in 2013 with a 2032lb pumpkin!
5. Harry Houdini, on of the most mysterious magicians, died on Halloween.
6. Boston, MA holds the record for the most Jack O’Lanterns lit at one time, over 30k!!
7. When Trick-or-Treating first started in the US, kids choose tricks over treats! It wasn’t until the 50’s that candy became the focus of the holiday.
8. Candy Corn is made with Marshmallow!
9. The top producing pumpkin states are Illinois, California, New York, and Ohio based on a 2010 study.
10. We’re (in Michigan) suppose to get snow this year for Halloween. Yep, Snow…
Just Listed this gorgeously updated bungalow home in great North Oak Park location. All the work has been done for you! Finished basement with family room, lav, and tons of extra storage. Spacious kitchen and bathroom both recently updated. Stainless appliances included. Gorgeous attention to detail through-out with cove ceilings & custom trim and finishes. Tons of Character. Open floor plan. Over Sized garage. Newer roof. Updated plumbing and electrical. All with-in walking distance to shopping, parks, and places of worship
Whether we like it or not, Fall is here. As are the associated chilly temperatures. Now is the time to get your home winter ready and in tip top shape to withstand, what is rumored to possible be, a worse winter than last year!! Below is a lit of suggest fall maintenance items
On the Exterior
– Clean Gutters and Downspouts
– Check for missing or loose shingles and secure where needed
– Insulate, Caulk, and Weatherstrip all windows and doors where needed
– Mulch the Fall leaves to blanket flower beds and compost piles
– Split perenials and plant your spring bulbs
– Trim and Prune Bushes and tree’s for healthy spring growth
– Mice begin nesting in September, block off any holes they could access your house/garage/shed
– Have sprinkler System Winterized
– Remove hoses from exterior faucets, turn off interior shut offs, and drain
– Stock up on Winter Storm Supplies and bring them inside or near the house where they will be easily accessible
– Check attic ridge vents to make sure they are free of debris and blockage to prevent ice dams on the roof
On the Interior
– Clean dust from dryer vent, a/c, stove hood, room fans, baseboard heaters and cold air returns
– Have fireplace flue & lines cleaned
– Check attic insulation and make sure vents aren’t blocked from the inside
– Finished any touch up paint projects while its still warm enough to open windows
– Test all smoke and carbon detectors, replace batteries where needed
– Test emergency generator system
– Caulk and weatherstrip around doors windows and holes where needed
– Reverse ceiling fans to spin clockwise once you start running the furnace for maximum efficiency
– If you will be leaving for any extended period of time, you should have you house winterized.
If there is a power outage in the middle of winter, it could take only a day for your pipes to freeze solid,
The cost of winterizing your home pales in comparison to the damage that would be done from frozen pipes.
This is a list of suggest home maintenance items and is not intended to be the only maintenance items you should consider. You should consult with a licensed contractor to ensure the best plan for your home, and never attempt home repairs that should otherwise be completed by a professional.
Real Estate One
$14,000,000 Sold in 2014
6960 Orchard Lake #150 West Bloomfield, MI 48322 | 248-419-3160 |
2014 Hour Magazine ALL STAR – Presidents Council of Excellence
Website ::: Facebook ::: Twitter ::: Google+ ::: Linked In ::: Blog ::: Pinterest
© Margo Borkin Real Estate
If you’re viewing this information on a site owned by someone other than Margo Borkin Real Estate, it has been stolen. Please report to us here.